logomancer

Every burned book enlightens the world. - Emerson

Name:
Location: Singapore

- What in God's name do we have in common with the Dutch? - Our religion, ma'am! - The Dutch have no religion, they have cheese.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

threading

In certain periods and stages, we have strange but ahhh-feel-so-nice crushes.

This couple of months, I developed a sudden fancy-fetish for threading.

NO, not on the face, dearie. And NO, it's not injury-scar fetish, thank you.

It's thread pattern on things. Consumables. Purchases.

Every time I spot anything with that visible sewn track - sofas, bookmarks, briefcases, belts, high-back chairs - my heart goes aflutter with barely concealed glee.

I got infected when I glimpsed an acquaintance's tie that's bought in Bangkok - a cool executive gray number with a bold white sewing outline. I thought it looked rather cool.

But the thing that floored me was a fake Ferragamo burgundy porte-feuille with subtle threading I laid unknowing and accidental eyes on at a heaven-endorsed shop in - where else? - devilish Bangkok.

So drama - macham like turning your head unwarily and suddenly seeing (feel in your blank with something delectable lah)...

I jumped. I dribbled a puddle. It was lust at first sight.

I can't explain it. Threading just has that effect on me. And it has to be used on anything BUT clothes.

In a nanosecond synapse the sight of white threads - I won't take any other colour - on objets d'art translates at once in my mind as:

Neat.
Simple.
Durable.
Endearing.
Handmade.
Pretenceless.
Personable.
Connected.
Unfrilled.
Tasteful.
Bucolic.
Classy.
Sexy.

Oh and strange as it may sound - comforting and grounded too.

But I'm very testy about my threads. Gap, thickness, width and length of threadlet - all must be balanced and aesthetic. Not any old how can already okay.

The right combination usually makes me warm all over. The wrong combination would make me squirm over all.

And I've been on the look-out for all things threaded ever since.

Threaded photo frames are my lastest craze. Even got threaded coasters at a sale. It's a test of true understanding when Wee and Gene got that Flair mousepad for my Christmas pressie ("How ah? Eeeasy lah. When we went in that shop and saw that thing, we looked at each other and said, 'Aiya, that is just SOOOO him lor. No need to look anymore lah - just buy lah...!'"). Already have my walah wallet. Haven't found the all-important notebook yet but I'm not giving up.

Just the thought alone makes me glow all over...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home